randomizer

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Ride to Artist Point (Mt Baker Highway)

Here are pictures from today's ride to Artist Point - the end of the Mt Baker Highway.  I rode up to Heather Meadows in late May, but the highway had not opened beyond that point.  WSDOT opened the road up to Artist Point on July 29th.  It's a nice section of road that's only open for just over 2 months.  They don't try to keep it clear in the winter.    I didn't start taking any pictures until I was just below Heather Meadows.






View Larger Map

Here are some pictures taken at Picture Lake, just below Heather Meadows.







In the pictures below, we are above Heather Meadows, but still below Artist Point.  This visitor center is fairly close to one of the ski runs - but I've never seen it before.  They close it and let it get snowed in.  



Bagley Lakes Basin - taken from Visitor's Center.



From a bit higher up the road.



In the picture below, we are looking down on the Heather Meadows base area.  






Table Mountain.



Ok, time to stop taking pictures and round the bend to Artist Point.  According to WSDOT, the elevation here is just over 5000 feet.  

Here is Mt Baker.


Me in front of Mt Baker.



In case you're wondering - riding down was really fast, and really fun.  Also, it wasn't the least bit cold up there - about 70.  I put on my long sleeve shirt because bugs were eating me, and it would be a bit warmer on the way down.  I was certainly not hot with the shirt on.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have on a Gilligan hat?
    Beautiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have on a bandana, which I wear under my bike helmet. It helps keep sweaty hair from falling down in my face when I'm riding.

    ReplyDelete