randomizer

Friday, August 6, 2010

My First Dam Ride

I started my first ride early this morning - a necessity due to high temperatures and lack of shade during the day.  


My original plan had been to leave from my hotel in Coulee Dam, WA and travel south along the eastern shore of Banks Lake to Coulee City, WA.   But when I arrived at my hotel yesterday, I found it sat at the bottom of a mile long steep hill!  



That sign at the top of the hill reads "6% to 10% grade next 1 mile".  My hotel is located at the bottom of this hill.



Riding up THAT directly out of my hotel parking lot is NOT my idea of a good way to start my ride.  So as soon as I entered town yesterday I realized I needed to move to Plan B - drive to the top of the hill and a bit beyond, and begin the ride at Banks Lake Park, which is located at the dam on the north edge of Banks Lake.  Here is some brief information about Banks Lake.



Now this is a beautiful place to begin a ride at 730 in the morning!  So I started heading south.



This is near Northrup Point.  Sometimes the road is next to the lake, sometimes it is set back a bit, sometimes it goes between rocks (such as here).   This was the first place I pulled over to take pictures - what I really learned is that the gravel next to the shoulder is no place for a skinny tired bike!  It's not as solid as it looks.  (No, I did not fall over.)   The following was taken from the same spot, I just zoomed in.






The cliffs to the east (my left) are so high, that early in the morning I've still got quite a bit of shade.  



Below is Steamboat Rock.  That is not the opposite shore - it sits in the middle of Banks Lake.







This hill was interesting for two reasons.  One, I started getting passed by other cyclists wearing numbers - some kind of event was going on.  Secondly, I had been riding all morning with a slight head wind in most places.  It depended on whether I was next to the lake or not.  After I crested this hill, that changed, and I began to enjoy a tail wind.    Next is a view from the near the top, where the organizers of  RAW (Ride Around Washington) had a rest station.  These first bikers to pass me were the fast group, and they were traveling light - they weren't even carrying water bottles.  You can do that when you have support!  I was having to take care of my own water out here in the desert, but that's why Camelbak's were invented.   So here is the pic, looking North, from near the top of that hill.



Remember I mentioned that tail wind after I crested this hill?  Well, it was quite awesome.  I entered Coulee City climbing a long steady grade at 17-19 mph.  I new I'd have payback's when I turned around.  But I reached Coulee City - just under 28 miles of riding - in just under 2 hours, an average speed of 14 mph.  I was pretty happy about that.  I was also pretty happy about Coulee City Park  - and SHADE!



And temptation....(it's the swimming area)



I spent about a half hour here, eating, re-applying (stronger!) sun screen, and using the real bathroom.  Always a plus when you don't have to settle for pit toilets or port-a-potties.  

Then it was time to head back north, where I now passed the main body of RAW riders who were still coming south.  You know the grade I went up fast coming into town?  The best I could manage downhill was 15 mph.  I would have a slight headwind until I climbed over the big hill again.  I didn't stop to take any more pictures until then, and then I stopped to get a picture of the.  Basalt Columns.  (That entire link is a great information resource, if you're interested.)  More on those tomorrow.



See, I really am riding my bike!



I also stopped here to get some shade - there is some just in front of my bike, I rested there while I took pictures.  It was to be the last shade of the day - I didn't know it at the time.

But up and over the hill - and I was blessed with a tail wind for the rest of my ride!  

I stopped in Steamboat Rock State Park, in search of shade.  There are trees in the park, but I rode in about a quarter mile and realized none of the shade was accessible to me without walking through mesquite.  So I just attempted my only self-portrait.  When I left the state park, I saw a road sign indicating I only had 10 more miles - this was nice, I thought I had 15.  I finished the final 10 very strong, much better than I expected, and covered over 56 miles in 4:07 hours riding time.  I arrived at my car at 1230 - earlier than expected.  So the ride was great, but the last 20 minutes or so of sun was getting to be too much.  I wasn't sunburned or dehydrated - still plenty of water left - I was just tired of being in the sun with no relief.


2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place to ride! How hot was it?
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was 68 when I started at 0730, and 88 when I finished at 1230, and 95 about an hour later.

    ReplyDelete